CASA (Citizens Are Security Aware)
Vacant homes are prime targets for burglars. Whether you are on vacation, in the hospital, or away from your home for some other reason, our volunteers will conduct home security checks to your Delta residence provided there are no tenants or anyone else in the home.
The CASA program allows home owners to authorize volunteers to perform random perimeter checks of your residence ensuring all doors, windows, and gates are secured. Before you go away, visit one of our DCPO offices and fill out a CASA request form.
The following tips are being provided for your information and we hope that you will assist in making your building a tougher target for criminals and, as a result, deter crime.
- Doors to the front entrance must always be kept locked
- Please wait for the gate to close on underground parking when entering and leaving the building
- Do not store valuable items in underground storage lockers (especially if contents of locker are visible).
- Ensure that children know that they are not to open the door to anyone
- Make sure all windows and patio doors are locked when not at home
- Discourage entering and leaving by patio doors
- Use your peephole
- Lock up even for a quick errand
- Make sure your intercom system does not use your suite numbers as an index
- Do not use first names or Mr. or Mrs. on intercom listings or name plates
- Join a Block Watch in your area or start one up for your building
- Be responsible about security. Remember good neighbours look after each other. Get to know other people who live on your floor so you may be able to identify strangers in your buildingIf you would like to start Block Watch in your area or have other questions or concerns in regards to the security in your building, please feel free to contact your local Community Police Station. Don’t be an easy target, be aware and be safe.
- Protect yourself and your belongings.
- Call the police immediately to report suspicious individuals or vehicles sighted in your building. Note descriptions of suspect individuals, height, weight, age, race, hair colour/style and clothing. For vehicles make note of the license plate, make, model, colour and other distinguishing features such as damage, customized paint, pinstriping or special wheels.