The Delta Police strives to be an organization that derives the full potential of each employee, where innovation thrives, and views, beliefs and values are integrated.
In 2020, recognizing the importance of this work, Delta Police formed the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Unit (EDIU). The EDIU’s objective is to centralize, support, and advance the sense of belonging of each employee in the DPD. The unit works externally too, enhancing existing relationships with our diverse community and importantly, identifying who is missing from our table.
Internally, the Diversity Liaison Constable (DLC) is tasked with:
- updating policy (from hiring standards and personal appearance, to secondments and the promotional process)
- implementing training programs (from active bystandership and mindfulness, to systemic racism and unconscious bias); and
- liaising with cross-sectional teams on departmental projects and communications.
Externally, the DLC will:
- work to enhance existing relationships, as well as develop new ones with members of Delta’s diverse communities,
- act as a representative of the DPD on myriad social issues championed by community groups and leaders including, but not limited to: BIPoC, LGBTQ+, Faith, Immigration, Disability, Youth, and Not-For-Profit.