If you are considering leaving your abuser
• Establish four places you can go when you leave.
• Who will help you leave?
• Who can you leave a bag of important things with?
• Who will lend you money?
• Do you have a safety plan for your pets?
Disable GPS on phone and social media accounts. Change your daily routines (where you buy groceries, how you get to work). Open a new bank account/credit card. Do you have a safety plan for your children? Leave as quickly as possible and do not tell the abuser.
Have you left your abuser?
• Have a support person you can turn to
• Get a protection order from the court
• Memorize and practice your safety plan
• Tell someone at work about what has happened
• Create a safety plan for work
• Tell the people who care for your children who is allowed to pick your children up
• Change your locks
• Money, Keys, Extra clothes
• Important papers – birth certificates, SIN, school and medical records, banking information, driver’s licence, address book.
• Permanent residency card
• Personal protective orders / divorce papers
• Sentimental things for your children
If you suspect that a friend or family member is in an abusive relationship, please call Delta Police Department at 604.946.4411 or Victim Services at 604.940.5019