Joseph Chen Missing Person Investigation Transitions to Delta Police
On March 2nd, 2023, the Surrey RCMP started a missing person investigation centered on locating 14-year-old Joseph Chen [Surrey RCMP File 2023-33575]. Chen was reported missing after leaving Holy Cross School in the area of 162nd St and 88th Ave.
On March 8th, 2023, as a result of information learned during the investigation, the file has been transferred to the Delta Police Department as the lead investigative agency. This transition is consistent with provincial policy guiding missing persons investigations. While the DPD and the Surrey RCMP have been working collectively since the onset of this investigation, all tips and information regarding Joseph’s whereabouts should now be directed to the DPD.
What we know:
- On March 2nd, 2023, Joseph left school and boarded a BC transit bus;
- Joseph disembarked the bus on Annacis Island in Delta;
- CCTV has placed on Alex Fraser Bridge walking southbound on the east sidewalk;
- CCTV shortly after that sighting has determined Joseph was no longer on the sidewalk;
- Joseph has not used his Compass Card, cell phone, or bank card after this time period;
- Joseph is described as a 14-year-old Asian male, 5’6” tall, 123 lbs, with shoulder-length black hair and brown eyes. Joseph was wearing a khaki jacket with brown pajama pants featuring teddy bears on the pant legs.
Investigators are seeking dash camera video or witnesses who may have seen Joseph on the Alex Fraser Bridge on March 2nd, 2023, between 3:30 and 4:30 pm. If you travelled over the Alex Fraser Bridge during this time and saw Joseph on the east sidewalk, or if you travelled over the Alex Fraser Bridge and have a dash camera in your car, please contact the Delta Police Department at (604)946-4411 and quote TIP file number 2023-5513.