The Delta Police Department is interested in applications from serving police officers. Serving police applicants are processed in a different manner than new recruit applicants. The process involves the following steps:
Serving British Columbia Police Officers
- Submit a resume and covering letter »our address
- When requested by the Recruiting Section, complete an application and integrity questionnaire
- One-on-one staffing interview, peer interview with three to five officers, and an administrative interview with management
- Complete the POPAT with a score of 4:15 or better
- Polygraph examination
- Medical examination
- Psychological assessment
- Background investigation, at which time your employer will become aware of your application
Although this process appears to be intense, it is possible for the serving police applicant to be accommodated with their schedule with as little disruption as possible.
Serving Canadian Police Officers Outside British Columbia
The process for serving Canadian police officers outside British Columbia is the same as serving BC officers except for the following additional steps:
- Approval required from Police Services Branch of the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General for applicants to write the Challenge Examination
- If you successfully write the Challenge Examination at the Justice Institute of British Columbia the training at the Police Academy will be waived. An unsuccessful attempt to write the examination will require the applicant to participate in all aspects of training at the Police Academy
Wages and Benefits for Successful Serving Applicants
Successful Canadian applicants will be hired at the rank or rate of pay in our schedule that is closest to the rate of pay they were at in their previous employment, up to a maximum of the First Class Constable rate of pay.
Subject to meeting certain educational and service requirements, all successful applicants may be eligible for further increments in their pay at the time of hiring. Vacation leave entitlements will be granted commensurate with total years of police service. Probationary period is six months.
All other benefits are the same as for recruits.