The Delta Police Department is looking for applicants who have high ethical standards, personal integrity, strong interpersonal skills and a desire to “make a difference” in our community.
Police Constables perform duties of considerable variety and responsibility involving public service, crime prevention and the protection of life and property. We investigate crimes, assist the victims of crimes and enforce the law. Police Constables are required to act without direct supervision and to exercise their authority with discretion when dealing with the public.
Through training the recruit must be capable of developing:
- Sound knowledge of applicable Federal, Provincial, Municipal law and regulations and relative Departmental rules and regulations
- Sound knowledge of police methods and the ability to apply such knowledge, in order to analyze situations accurately and initiate effective action
- Ability to deal courteously, firmly and tactfully with the public in a variety of situations. Ability to write and speak effectively, prepare reports and records and give evidence in court in a professional manner
- Skill in investigation and interview techniques in situations requiring intelligence and emotional stability
- Skills involved in emergency first aid care, operation of police vehicles in routine and emergency situations, handling and caring for a variety of firearms
- Physical development and proficiency.