How to Apply
All persons applying for the position of Police Constable are required to take part in the following selection process. If you are currently serving as a police officer in another jurisdiction, click here.
- Register for Intake Exam: If all the basic requirements are met, the candidate may register online.
- Written Intake Exam: The registered candidate will be invited to the next intake exam (usually held every three months). This examination requires a mark of 60% for a pass. Individuals who fail the exam will have the opportunity to re-take the exam after six months (you are required to re-register for the intake exam).
- Complete forms: If the candidate passes the intake exam he/she may complete an application form and integrity questionnaire.
- Interviews: In-depth interviews will be conducted by members of the Department, beginning with initial applicant screening, followed by a panel interview, and finally an interview with management. Each interview will last approximately one hour. Considerable discussion will focus on work and family background, the applicant’s opinion on a variety of subjects, and policing in Delta.
- Peace Officers Physical Abilities Test (POPAT)
- Physical fitness evaluation
- Muscular endurance
- Cardiovascular endurance
- Motor fitness ability
You should have a physical examination from your own doctor before attempting the physical testing.
- Medical Examination: The applicant will undergo an extensive medical examination by the Department’s physician at the Department’s expense.
- Polygraph Examination: The applicant will participate in an employment interview conducted with the aid of the polygraph instrument to determine suitability for employment.
- Background Check: Before reaching this stage you will have been given a background questionnaire to complete. It is important that you are as accurate as possible. This will aid our Department in completing the background check which will consist of interviews with present and past employers, friends, relatives, and neighbours. Investigators will also check for any criminal record of the applicant and family members, as well as examine any other areas necessary.
»Before contacting the Recruiting Section with any inquiries, please read our Recruiting FAQ.